Monday, May 16, 2011

make it monday: zucchini bread

For awhile I have been wanting to try zucchini bread. I found some zucchini on sale and decided to finally do it. I used this recipe by Smitten Kitchen, but I adapted it slightly to make it a tad healthier.
***

Zucchini Bread
(makes 2 loaves or 24 muffins)

3 eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 3/4 cups of white sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
3 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans, liberally. Alternately, line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in applesauce and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.
Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, as well as dried fruit.
4. Stir this into the egg mixture. Divide the batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake loaves for 60 minutes, plus or minus ten, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out       clean. Muffins will bake far more quickly, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
Enjoy!
***
This is Aislynn's last week of school...so excited about that! We plan to experiment in the kitchen a lot this summer...I have big plans in finding the very best blueberry muffin recipe and I would also like to try a lemon loaf...any recommendations?

2 comments:

Shel said...

Oooh...lemon loaf? I've never tried that. You must share that recipe. I've got some good recipes coming up to share that I think you'll like. Gotta find time to post them! :)

I hope you have lots of fun this summer with A at home. It's always stressful for me with all three home all day (and J works such long hours), but that's when I have to get creative and try lots of new things!

SnapScrapRepeat said...

Yum. I have one using walnuts where you have cranberries. That might be a great little zing?! Yum.